Living Quarters Title Background



Carnaby Street Student London

Contact Living Quarters

Office Opening Hours are: 9:00am to 6:00pm
Telephone: 0208 672 7722

Can I view a student property before booking?

Yes you can. Just click here.

If you’re unable to visit us before making a booking, please be sure to visit our website and browse our pictures and take a look at the property of your choice.

Please note that all photographs are representative of the property, and individual rooms may vary. The contents shown are for display only and are not provided in each room.

Do I need to pay a deposit

Our deposit is £250 and is fully refundable at the end of your stay with us, provided that there is no outstanding rent or room damage. Once you have paid your deposit, this guarantees a room for you with Living Quarters.

What happens to my deposit?

Living Quarters protect your deposit by securing it with a government recognized scheme. This is usually or details will be provided to you once you have made your booking with us.

When do I get my deposit back?

You will get your deposit back within 14 days of the end of your contract. Any unpaid rent or room damages will be deducted from your deposit before it is returned to you. It is your responsibility to return the room in the same condition as when you moved into it and we would advise that you record the condition of your room on the inventory given to you when you check in.

Are there any other charges / fees to pay when I’m making my booking?

You will also be asked to pay a Contract Fee when you make your booking. This is £250 and is non-refundable. This is to cover the administration of your booking, issue of your tenancy agreement, the preparation of your room inventory, activating internet connection and the monitoring of your rent payments.

There are no other charges – as long as you don’t damage anything!

Do I have to be a student in order to live with Living Quarters?

You must be a part-time or full-time student to live at a Living Quarters student accommodation site. However, our sister company has a large selection of non-student accommodation in outstanding locations – find out more at

Do I need to pay Council Tax?

If you are registered as a full-time student it is likely that you will be exempt from paying Council Tax for the duration of your course. Your University or College will be able to provide you with a Council Tax Exemption Certificate which you must hand to your property Management Team within 7 days of your moving into your accommodation. Failure to provide this certificate could mean that you will be liable for Council Tax.

Please feel free to call the Management Team at your chosen property to discuss, or check with your University or College prior to making your booking with us.

It is your responsibility to check your Council Tax exemption status – you can also refer to:

How do I sign up?

Call us on 020 7381 6280

Please be sure to indicate which student accommodation you’re interested in. We will then contact you to process your enquiry within 48 hours.

Can I pay my rent in instalments?

You can choose to pay your rent in one of the following ways:

  • In 1 full instalment (those without UK based Guarantors)
  • In 3 termly payments – (UK based Guarantor required)
  • For monthly instalments (UK based Guarantor required)

How can I pay my rent?

You can pay by:

  • credit or debit card
  • standing order
  • international bank transfer
  • via the Student Portal

However, your bank may charge you a fee to make a bank transfer into our account. It is your responsibility to pay this. Please ensure that you transfer enough money to cover both the rent and the transfer fee.

Payable to Rooms & Studios London Ltd, directly to the on-site Management Team

What is a Guarantor?

A Guarantor is someone who will accept responsibility for paying your rent, if you are unable to do so. Therefore, you and they need to be fully aware of this responsibility before signing the tenancy documents. Your Guarantor should be someone who has sufficient financial resources to meet this obligation and who lives in the United Kingdom.

You will need a Guarantor if you are wishing to pay your rent in termly or monthly instalments.

Can I pay my rent with my student loan?

You can use your student loan to pay your rent. It is important that we have evidence of your student loan information at the application stage. Keys to your residence will not be given before providing payment or a valid student loan schedule.

Can I choose who I live with?

We will consider special accommodation requests, but such requests cannot be guaranteed and all allocations are subject to availability. Please use the data field on the application form to state any preferences you may have and with whom you would like to live.

No person or group of persons applying for accommodation will be treated less favourably than any other person or group of persons because of their race, colour, ethnic or national origin, gender, disability, appearance, age, marital status, sexual orientation or social status.

My Tenancy Contract

How do I know how long my tenancy is for?

The documentation clearly states the start and end date of your tenancy term. The start date is the date you can move into the property and the end date is the date by which you must leave the property.

How do I know what to pay & when?

The tenancy agreement clearly shows the rent payable for your room and the dates on which it is due for payment. This will be displayed in accordance to the payment profile you have chosen.

Who has to sign the tenancy agreement?

The tenancy agreement has to be signed by:

You – as the student tenant

Your Guarantor – if you have chosen to pay in instalments

The Witness – this is a person who witnesses the signature of the Guarantor. The witness must not be related to either you or your guarantor – they must be independent.

Can I make changes to the tenancy agreement once it has been signed?

Yes you can*. All requests to make changes to the signed tenancy agreement must be made in writing and addressed to the Accommodation Manager. If you are requesting to move rooms, this will be subject to availability and an administration fee of £75.00 may apply.

*Changes cannot be made during September.

Can I terminate my tenancy agreement before the tenancy end date?

Yes it is possible to request to terminate your tenancy agreement before the end date. However, this carries a Cancellation Fee of £200.00 and all requests must be made in writing addressed to the Accommodation Manager for consideration.

Please be aware that you will remain responsible for all rent payments due under the terms of your tenancy agreement unless and until you can find a suitable alternative tenant. The Acommodation Manager will advise you about proposing a substitute tenant for your room.

Please refer to our Cancellation Policy for full details regarding your rent responsibility.

What should I do to book a room?

  • We all encourage all students who wish to live with us to view the photos on our website, and if possible to physically visit the site to view. Visit here to book your tour.
  • Thereafter, please email or call to confirm your intention to live at Furzedown Hall, Cedar Hall,
    or inform our staff on site
  • We will send you a student information form that should be completed and returned to our office by email – this will provide basic information to process your contract
  • Once confirmed, we will send you a rental invoice for your preferred payment frequency (monthly, termly or annually)
  • You need to make arrangements to pay your deposit and administration fee
  • Once we receive payment we will send you acknowledgement of successful payment and reserve a room for you
  • About 8 Weeks (or less if after August) before your arrival, we will send you a Tenancy Agreement and Guarantor’s form that you need to sign with your Guarantor before sending back to us
  • Approximately 8.weeks before the start of your stay, we will send you a Tenancy Agreement and a form for your UK based Guarantor to sign. Both these documents will need to be signed and returned to us

Moving in Day

You will receive a letter or email prior to move-in detailing a time and date for you to move in. If the time is not suitable please contact the Management Team at your property directly to arrange a more appropriate time.

Please try to adhere to this to ensure that move in is quick and simple.

Please also note that cars can only be parked for a short time to allow unloading.

At move-in time, there will be many hundreds of students, parents, and friends all unpacking and moving in. Wherever possible, we will attempt to stagger move in slots to minimize queuing and inconvenience.

What if I haven’t completed and returned all my documentation?

This will inevitably cause you a delay at check in and in some cases, if tenancy documentation is not signed, you will not be given the keys to your accommodation.

Therefore it is really important for your to check that all documents are signed and all due payments have been made before you arrive to move into your room.

Moving In Check List – Ensure the Following:

  • You have paid your rent
  • You have provided a copy of your student loan certificate
  • You and your guarantor (if applicable) have signed and returned your tenancy agreement
  • You have provided photographic ID

Do I need to move out over Christmas and Easter Holidays?

No you do not. You will continue to have complete access to your room throughout your tenancy term.

What if I am not happy with my flat mates or my room allocation?

We hope you will get on with other students who live near you, who could be from differing backgrounds and cultures. If a student is extremely unhappy then room changes can be considered (subject to availability and a £75 administration fee). It is important to remember that moving to University can be a stressful experience for some students, but most people settle down and make new friends following move-in.

Other Information

The Property Management Team is the experienced team who are based at the property where you have chosen to live. The reception is open week days and the staff will look after you during your stay and provide you with information about your accommodation, the locality and to also offer support should you need it whilst you’re living away from home. They also take care of the day-to-day operation of the property to ensure it is well maintained and safe for your use.

A typical Management Team consists of:

  • Accommodation Manager
  • Accommodation Assistant
  • Maintanence
  • Housekeeping

What about safety & security?

The Management Team is on site Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm. Out of hours we provide security staff, so there is always someone on site.

We also provide comprehensive CCTV coverage and secure door entry systems.

Visitors to the property must report to reception. Access is limited to residents, their authorised visitors, our staff and nominated contractors.

Fire alarms are tested weekly, appropriate emergency signage is displayed and fire evacuation drills undertaken at the start of each academic year. Students are asked to help us ensure our sites remain safe by applying the residence safety rules.

Is there any car parking at the property I have chosen?

No parking is available at the property – please check with our staff if you have any queries.

Where Can I Smoke?

Smoking is not permitted in any of our properties. This policy includes all internal and external communal areas,  as well as bedrooms. There are designated smoking areas, please ask the Management Team at your property for details.


ALL visitors must report to the reception. They are not permitted to just walk or drive into the property.

Each student is permitted a maximum of two guests at any one time. Any more than this will have to be agreed in advance by the Management Team. Visitors are required to sign in and out of the building and any visitor that does not comply, will be asked to leave the property immediately.

Unfortunately, we do not have spare rooms for visitors to stay in, however our Management Teams will be happy to assist and advise about local hotels.

Where parking is available, visitors will be permitted to park, if this is arranged in advance with the Management Team. Unauthorised vehicles risk being clamped and subject to a release fee.

Can I bring a bike?

We provide cycle racks at all our properties. However, spaces are limited and are on a first come, first served basis. It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure the bike is adequately secure and Living Quarters cannot accept any responsibility for any loss or damage to bikes whilst making use of the cycle racks provided.

Under no circumstances are bikes allowed to be stored inside the property in either corridors or rooms/flats.

Motorcycles are allowed at our discretion. Please inform the Management Team if you wish to bring a motorcycle to your property.

Will I be able to get online in my room?

Yes. All our student accommodation has fast broadband internet connections available. Both Furzedown & Cedar Halls also have Wifi provisions. Bandwidth is managed and it is not to be used for illegal purposes. Tenants using the internet for illegal gains could potentially have their internet access barred and risk prosecution from FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft). Living Quarters and associated broadband providers will not condone any illegal use of the internet and wireless bandwidth sharing. All residents wishing to use the internet services must sign up to local terms and conditions of use.

Will there be a telephone in my room?

All rooms at Furzedown and Cedar Halls have individual direct telephones to enable you to receive incoming calls from friends and home freely, as well as allowing internal calls.

Am I allowed to use candles?

Living Quarters have a strict no candles policy at any of our properties. This is to prevent fire outbreak and in accordance with advice from London fire authorities.

Can I bring a deep fat fryer?

Woks, frying pans and saucepans are permitted, but deep fat fryers and chip pans are not. These are the most likely causes of cooking-related fires and the use of these utensils is not permitted as per the residence fire plan and as advised by London fire authorities.

Is a TV provided in my room?

We do not provide a TV in your room. However, we provide TVs in all our communal lounges with a range of satellite and terrestrial channels.

Is there a TV point in the bedroom or lounge?

Yes, though connecting a TV to an external antenna in the UK will require a TV licence. There are TVs in all our communal kitchen/lounges, common rooms and gym. Where Living Quarters have provided the TV, they have also provided the appropriate TV license.

Visit the following website for further information about TV licenses in the UK.

Is everything local to the property?

University, amenities, leisure are all close to the property. The Management Team will be happy to help with directions and will issue a location guide to just about anything you need.

Where can I wash my clothes & bedding?

We provide laundry facilities at all of our properties. These contain laundry card operated washing machines and drying facilities.

Where can I collect my post?

Postal facilities differ slightly according to which property you are living in. Normally post will either be put directly into your post box or it will be available to collect from the reception. Check with your local Management Team and they will be able to provide further details including arrangements for parcels and recorded or special delivery items.

Can I personalise my room?

You are responsible for ensuring that your return your room/flat in the same condition that it was given to you at the start of your tenancy term. For your own protection, you should complete and return the room inventory within 48 hours of your arrival as this confirms the condition of your room when you moved in.

Generally speaking, blu-tac, white-tac, sellotape or pins put into walls will require remedial action after you have left, which might even result in re-painting being necessary. This will be charged in line with our published schedule of charges.

At the end of your tenancy term, the property Management Team will conduct an inspection of your room. It is advisable for you to make an appointment for this inspection, well in advance. Any potential charges can be discussed and agreed.

The Management Team will also carry out regular flat inspections during your tenancy term in accordance with good building management practice.

Who is responsible for cleaning my room?

It is your responsibility to keep your room clean. If you are sharing communal areas such as the kitchen, lounge and bathroom, it is the joint responsibility of all members to keep these common areas clean and tidy.

Endsleigh Accommodation Partner 2018

Your contents. Covered.

Living Quarters are working in partnership with Endsleigh, the No. 1 student insurance provider, to provide some cover for the contents inside your room. You don’t need to do anything to activate this cover, but it is important for you to check and ensure that you fully understand the protection provided and whether it is sufficient for your needs. Your HH number is HH1693

Visit Check your Cover to:

  • Check your level of cover
  • Review key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Learn how to make a claim
  • Extend and personalise your cover to protect laptops, phones and other valuables

Endsleigh knows that life can grind to a halt without your possessions, so it is worth spending a few minutes to establish whether the things that matter to you most are protected both inside and outside your room. They are the only insurance provider recommended by NUS and have been shaping their products and services around their customers’ needs for over 50 years.

Developing products built for students, Endsleigh understands that protecting and replacing gadgets quickly is hugely important to students; that’s why they will replace any lost, stolen or unrepairable gadgets within 24 hours of your claim being approved. Their cover can protect gadgets, watches, bikes and musical instruments under one policy—giving you the flexibility to build your cover to protect the things that matter to you most.

To find out more, visit Check your Cover.

Living Quarters

Living Quarters